‘Tis the season for picnics, barbecues and an array of outdoor festivities. Of course we all want to be comfortable amid the heatwaves of summer, without sacrificing style. The goal is to put together a low key look that doesn’t echo “trying too hard.” Choose casual, effortless pieces and bring them to live with fun accessories or a hint of print. With food, mother nature and fruity drinks nearby I try to steer clear of white. Other neutrals and light shades, plus a good sunscreen will keep the scorching to a minimum. Here are my staples:
- Top: A loose, flirty tank or tee in either a solid or print. Sound easy? It is! Find a style that works for you and don’t be afraid to mix patterns.
- Shorts: The possibilities are endless with denim, cotton, linen and chino fabrics. This is the perfect occasion to play with prints or try cargos for a stylish alternate to denim. Just be sure your pair works for sitting on grass, benches and so on.
- Dress: You can’t go wrong with a solid, but prints are huge this season. My favorite prints are floral and Ikat. Before stepping out, confirm your dress passes the infamous “sit test.”
- Shoes: Flat sandals are a safe, comfortable choice. Kick it up a notch with espadrilles or other wedges, but avoid shoes that will sink into the ground or get slippery soles when the inevitable summer downpour starts, i.e., stilettos.
- Purse: A lightweight tote or crossbody with a large strap that you can slip over your shoulder when grabbing food and other goodies.
- Lightweight Cover Up: Pieces that are linen or light cotton like an open cardigan, blazer or bolero that you can toss in your tote.
Mix, match and accessorize and you’re ready to go! What are some of your essential party pieces for the summer?